Friday, May 9, 2008

Herding Cats Reading Challenge

I fell in love with the Herding Cats reading challenge. People have read some great books and I love to get recommendations for anything to read. My ten favorite books I chose to recommend are as follows:
Outta My Way by Elizabeth Peavey This is a collection of articles that were written for a local paper, that are kind of about her life and opinions. The woman is hilarious.
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon This book is great. Do not be thrown off by how slow it is at first. Once Jamie comes into the picture (if you are a female) there is no putting the book down. It is a historical novel with romance, intrigue, and just plain wonderful reading.
The Gunslinger by Stephen King I think I will never be able to say enough for this book. It is epic and yet so short. Of course once you get hooked you will be reading thousands of pages that make The Stand look like a kids book. This is the first book in the series and yet it really is the middle of the story. It is like Tolkien in that you recognize the world however it is not our world, "the world has moved on."
Dear Enemy by Jean Webster This is the sequel to Daddy Long Legs. It is the story of the best friend as she goes off to make her way on the world. The book is written as letters to people.
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith A coming of age story, and also about family. I would love to live the lives of these characters for a while. They live in a rundown castle, have no money, and yet have such a wonderful life. Cassandra, the heroine, is someone we all can connect with and recognize a bit of ourselves in her.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams The best book of all time! The standard for comedy and sci-fi all in one. Well that is taking it a bit too far I will admit. Do not judge this book based on the recent movie. Go by the BBC version if you are familiar with that at all. I mean British humor, what more can I say?
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte A love story. Plain Jane has an incredibly hard life that she manages to never succumb to. I would say that if you liked Wuthering Heights you would like this, but I do not like that book and I do love Jane Eyre, so go figure. But they are from the same time period, and they do have a similar style of Victorian Gothic.
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Everyone knows this plot. The book really is great, Mr. Darcy's proposal in the book is much better than in the movies. The book is always better than the movie as they say. Who the hell are "they" anyhow?
The 13 1/2 Live of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers The best review I can give of this is what the book says, "part Douglas Adams, part J.K Rowling, and part Shel Silverstein." The book is funny, very long and I would recommend reading other books while taking a break from it as I did. But well worth reading. And there are other books he has written as well that tell the stories of other characters in this book in the land of Zamonia.
The Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters This is another one of my favorite books that I have reread so many times. It is the first in another series, but you can read it and never have to go on if you like. I will warn you that the later books, like seven or eight further along, are not as good as she changed her style of writing and the point of view. This book is about a Victorian woman who travels to Egypt, gets involved in a mystery, meets a man, and gets to do archaeological stuff. The books are especially great for all the Egyptian stuff.
I am still looking at everyone else's lists to decide what to read for myself. This is going to be so much fun.

No comments: